things you might like to know
One Oneida Avenue
Rhinelander, WI 54501
• Dome Restoration
• Courthouse & Dome photos
• map of courthouse location
• Oneida County Government
Rising from the 1st floor of the Oneida County Courthouse, in the center of the building and extending through the third floor, is a large rotunda which is surmounted by a glass and metal dome, topped with a copper cupola.
The octagonal, Tiffany-style stained glass lantern dome, which becomes an internally illuminated greenish beacon at night is actually two separate domes.
The outer octagonal dome is 42-feet across and sits nearly 50-feet above the inner, 22-foot wide dome. More than 2,000 individual panes of green glass were used to construct the outer dome.
The inner dome rest 57-feet above the 1st floor, or almost 20-feet above the 3rd floor.
Work on the domes of the courthouse originally began in late 1909. They were completed in 1911. After years of damage and neglect, various efforts restored the courthouse and glass domes to their original beauty, between the years of 1965 and 1992.
The courthouse was officially added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1981.
In 2008, the Oneida County Courthouse celebrated 100 years of legal and civil service with a year-long series of events including a re-creation of the laying of the courthouse cornerstone.